Maintain Your E-cigarette – How and Why You Should Do It
Experienced electronic cigarette users all know the feeling – suddenly your beloved e-cigarette goes from tasting wonderful to bad, or even stops putting out vapor. To understand why this happens, and how you can unclog it, read on!
An atomizer, regardless of shape or size, is a wire attached to a resistor, which is attached to a battery. That’s the essence of it. The battery delivers a voltage (most e-cigarettes operate at 3.7 volt) and this voltage hits the resistor, gets “reduced” by the proper amount, until it then meets the wire that gets glowing red hot, and produces vapor
There can be many reasons for why your favourite atomizer suddenly works bad, some of these include:
“Gunk” is building up around the wire and chamber
- Essentially these are impurities, either from your e-liquid or maybe even pocket lint. Basically anything that can somehow get inside your atomizer, but won’t vaporize ends up building up in there.
Too much e-liquid
- If you are using a tank system, the punched hole in the bottom of the filter could be too big allowing for too much e-liquid to run out, effectively drowning your atomizer. If you are using a drip system, maybe you are simply a bit heavy on the squeeze once you put new e-liquid in, making a suppository of excess e-liquid build up, and drowning the atomizer
Too little e-liquid
- The punched hole in your tank system could be too narrow, feeding too little e-liquid to the system – or your wicks could be old, and unable to soak any more e-liquid. All of this results in your atomizer getting too little e-liquid, making it become extremely hot, but producing very little vapor.
Your atomizer could be dead!
- No glow, heat or sound comes from your atomizer when you activate it; it is now dead – sorry.
Note: All atomizers should be treated, and thought of as disposable. Some atomizers can live for up to 6 months, but in most cases an atomizer has a typical lifespan of somewhere between 3 to 6 weeks for the average user. We like to look at them as if they were disposable lighters.
You use them until they are dry, and then you buy another one.
As for how to prevent the above failures, there are only a few steps you can and should do:
- Always buy high quality e-liquids. Low quality e-liquid will have a lot more impurities, which will end up choking your atomizer to death.
- Make sure you perform maintenance and cleaning rituals often.
- If your atomizer begins producing less vapor than you think it should, instead of keeping on using it, you should stop, and clean it.
So how do we maintain and clean our atomizers?
That’s a hard question to answer, because there are so many variants out there; but we will give it a try:
- Unscrew your atomizer from everything else.
- For a clearomizer/puromizer, put your lips to the screw thread end, and blow all excess liquid out the other end (where the mouthpiece/opening normally is) – for the puromizer, remember to open the silicone flap on the side before doing so, as this is where the liquid will need to come out.
- For any other atomizer, put your lips to where the mouthpiece is (but without the mouthpiece on) and blow until all excess liquids come out at the screw thread end.
- Make sure you follow this process with your mouthpiece, every time you rinse your atomizer: De-attach your mouthpiece from any other peripherals, and put it in your mouth as if you were about to use it, then blow as hard as you can, and any excess liquid that could be trapped inside the air vents, will shoot out at the opposite end.
- Dry off the atomizers, and mouthpiece, and re-insert onto e-cigarette.
The above will work for most atomizers out there – however some atomizers can benefit from further cleaning. Puromizers, and cartomizers can be cleaned extensively by doing the following:
- Insert puromizer or cartomizer under a running faucet – use cold water. Make sure you get it all wet.
- Blow out the puromizer/cartomizer with the method described above.
- Then use a hairdryer to gently heat up the entire unit, until every last bit is bone-dry.
And then you should be set!
So to sum up, use high quality e-liquids, rinse whenever you change your battery or when a problem occurs – and you should be good!